At a time when Christianity has been outlawed in Japan and those who follow the faith have gone into hiding or have been killed, two young Christian missionaries, Sebastião Rodrigues (Andrew Garfield) and Francisco Garrpe (Adam Driver) travel to Japan in the 1600s to search for their missing mentor, Father Cristóvão Ferreira (Liam Neeson).
In an attempt to ferret the Japanese Christian population out, officials force those who are suspected of being Christians to stomp on a carved image of Christ. Those who refuse are killed by slowly being bled while hanging upside down over a pit.
Based on the 1966 novel of the same name by Shūsaku Endō.
- Release Date: January 6, 2017 (limited)
- Genre: Drama
- Cast: Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, Liam Neeson, Tadanobu Asano, Ciarán Hinds, Yosuke Kubozuka, Yoshi Oida, Shinya Tsukamoto, Issey Ogata, Nana Komatsu, Ryo Kase
- Director: Martin Scorsese
- Producer: Barbara De Fina, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Gastón Pavlovich, Irwin Winkler, Martin Scorsese, Randall Emmett, Vittorio Cecchi Gori
- Screenplay: Jay Cocks, Martin Scorsese
- Studio: Paramount Pictures
Now playing at: