Blinded by the Light
| 64 votes and 26 reviews Write a Review
In 1987, Margaret Thatcher is the Prime Minister of Great Britain and Javed (Viveik Kalra), a British teenager of Pakistani descent, is growing up in the town of Luton, England. He experiences much intolerence in his hometown, while being brought up by an inflexible, traditional father who doesn't understand Javed's dreams.
When a Sikh classmate named Roops (Aaron Phagura) hands him two Bruce Springsteen cassettes, he is fully immersed into the music of Springsteen. He sees parallels between what the Boss is singing and his own life in a working-class town. A poetry writer himself, Javed begins to find the courage to express himself more fully and stands up to his parents. He also decides to fly to America to see Springsteen's hometown along with his friend Roops.
Set to the music and lyrics of Bruce Springsteen’s timeless songs, Blinded by the Light is a story about courage, love, hope, family and how music has the ability to lift the human spirit. The film is inspired by a true story, based on Sarfraz Manzoor’s acclaimed memoir Greetings from Bury Park: Race, Religion and Rock N’ Roll.
- Release Date: August 16, 2019
- Genre: Comedy, Drama
- Cast: Viveik Kalra, Kulvinder Ghir, Meera Ganatra, Nell Williams, Aaron Phagura, Dean-Charles Chapman, Hayley Atwell
- Director: Gurinder Chadha
- Producer: Gurinder Chadha
- Screenplay: Sarfraz Manzoor, Gurinder Chadha, Paul Mayeda Berges
- Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures