If Beale Street Could Talk
In the 1970s, Tish (KiKi Layne) and Fonny (Stephan James), who live in Harlem, New York, become engaged. While shopping in a mostly white grocery story, she's accosted by a white man. Fonny comes to her defense and throws the man out of the store.
A white police officer, Bell (Ed Skrein) witnesses the incident and is about to arrest Fonny when the white woman who runs the grocery store vouches for him and calls Bell a racist. Not long after, Fonny is arrested for a rape that occurred when he was at home, with Tish and another friend who both verify his presence. However, because Officer Bell claims he witnessed Fonny fleeing the scene, the innocent young man is arrested and imprisoned.
Soon after, Tish discovers she's pregnant with their first child. She works to clear his name before their baby is born.
Based on the novel of the same name by James Baldwin.
- Release Date: December 25, 2018 (limited)
- Genre: Drama, Romance
- Cast: KiKi Layne, Stephan James, Colman Domingo, Teyonah Parris, Michael Beach, Dave Franco, Diego Luna, Pedro Pascal, Ed Skrein, Aunjanue Ellis, Finn Wittrock, Brian Tyree Henry, Regina King
- Director: Barry Jenkins
- Producer: Adele Romanski, Barry Jenkins, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Sara Murphy
- Screenplay: Barry Jenkins
- Studio: Entertainment One